Hard to level solo w/o bot?

Conversations about the Gaheris server.

Hard to level solo w/o bot?

Postby IzleFoshizle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello Gaherisians,

I am considering a return to the game; very much like what Broadsword is trying to do to revive this old bird. The only downside is that I have completely lost/forgotten my old account info so I have to start over new. My question for you people still playing; and have been playing is this: How hard would it be to completely start over, AND is it possible to do so without a million bots?

I don't mind the low population of Gaheris; if anything it makes the community feeling greater, but I do not, and won't be able to, have bot accounts; just the one toon.

I hope you are all doing well, and look forward to possibly seeing you guys/gals in game.

- Izle/Ramsay
-- Grottekvarnen --
Izle Foshizle - Darkness/Summoning SM
Njordr IzleIncognito - Cave/Augmentation Shaman

"The only reward of virtue is virtue; the only way to have a friend is to be one."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
IzleFoshizle

Re: Hard to level solo w/o bot?

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Since you last played (I assume that was summer 2010) Mythic added quests for leveling to the game. It's now possible for a solo player without a bot to level from 1 to 50 by doing quests. Along the way you can buy good equipment for very small amounts of cash. Compared to the old days, leveling is extremely fast.

Mythic also added NPC buffers so bots aren't as important now.

A Modern Day Leveling Guide 1-50
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Some classes will struggle more than others, but typically, it won't be a problem.

Friars, Archers, Wardens, Pallies, Necros and BDs are probably the most powerful solo classes. If you want something that'll play well with groups as well, Wardens and Pallies (and their shields) are always looked for for groups.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Dixa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:14 am

Rob wrote:Since you last played (I assume that was summer 2010) Mythic added quests for leveling to the game. It's now possible for a solo player without a bot to level from 1 to 50 by doing quests. Along the way you can buy good equipment for very small amounts of cash. Compared to the old days, leveling is extremely fast.

Mythic also added NPC buffers so bots aren't as important now.

A Modern Day Leveling Guide 1-50

yes....and no.

1-35..almost 40 will not be that difficult.

what is difficult are the glass quests after this. you can continue to do the 35 ones which give very little xp at this point and starts to make the game feel extremely grindy.

the ones every guide will tell you to do at this level however are from the three triton sisters and include mobs with above average evade, parry and block. they can be EXTREMELY frustrating to a melee char, and they are orange/red at this level as well which makes landing spells difficult without ra's and focal mythrians. in fact they are mostly orange still at 44.

of the characters i have gone this route with recently the one that did it with ease was a bonedancer with a buffbot to buff the pets. the necro had huge resist issues. any blocker/pbaoe setup the blocker simply did not block often enough due to level difference and lack of RA's at this level and the pbaoe'r was resisted hardcore on oranges. friars are evaded/parried tons with mine having a 40% average hit rate - dropping 25 of these mobs took nearly an hour each time for 2 bubbles of xp, and friars are their own buffbot. Friars may have issues as from what I can gather in the postcount threads about them recently they have an obscenely hard time penetrating defensive skills and it does not appear to be tied to weapon skill - most friars find they have to pick up the +hit CL ability to help with this, but never really overcome it as other melee would.

it is possible other classes can do these quests without much issue just on realm buffs, but many are going to feel grindy until 45 when you can go do the cv repeatable until 50.
Dixa

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 am

Dixa wrote:yes....and no.

Of the things I wrote, what does the "no" apply to? Could you quote those words by themselves so I'll know what you disagree with?

Does this advice from the Leveling Guide no longer work?

Leveling guide wrote:If you want to go from 30-45 with no actual combat in record time, merely go to to Wicoessa and take both of her quests. However you will only do the treasure chest quest. Swim out, do it, run back. This is quick, no running around killing red and oj mobs, and you will get more glass per level because there will be less kill xp per run. Do this until you are as close to 45 as you can be without hitting 45. Then delete the other Wicoessa quest and talk to Wicoessa and Astoissi to get their 4 quests. Start doing them all and you should ding 45th as you do it. Then you can still turn them in but get exp toward 46th and squeeze 400 more glass out of the easier Oceanus quests.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Level up on Agramon. Frontier XP bonuses, and you'll collect up seals as you level. Those first 20ish seals at 50 have a huge payoff.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Apath » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Rob wrote:
Leveling guide wrote:If you want to go from 30-45 with no actual combat in record time, merely go to to Wicoessa and take both of her quests. However you will only do the treasure chest quest. Swim out, do it, run back. This is quick, no running around killing red and oj mobs, and you will get more glass per level because there will be less kill xp per run. Do this until you are as close to 45 as you can be without hitting 45. Then delete the other Wicoessa quest and talk to Wicoessa and Astoissi to get their 4 quests. Start doing them all and you should ding 45th as you do it. Then you can still turn them in but get exp toward 46th and squeeze 400 more glass out of the easier Oceanus quests.

Hey Rob, what I see that sounds wrong is you don't get glass except on the first run of those quests now, and I have noticed there is a significant reduction in xp on repeats. They are only good chained together the first run really. I may just be reading the guide quote wrong.
https://www.facebook.com/zariah.miko

^That's me^ for reals, like totally.
Apath

Postby Dixa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Rob wrote:

Of the things I wrote, what does the "no" apply to? Could you quote those words by themselves so I'll know what you disagree with?

Does this advice from the Leveling Guide no longer work?

it's not "extremely fast". once you hit 40 it is very grindy and slow for quite a few classes until you can start the cv quests, at which point you will do 45-50 in maybe three hours.

that treasure box quest is less than half a bubble per turn in at 40 and if you don't have speed, not so quick to do that you don't get mind-numbingly bored with the game at this point and want to just to kill things.
Dixa

Postby Dixa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Warriorperson wrote:Level up on Agramon. Frontier XP bonuses, and you'll collect up seals as you level. Those first 20ish seals at 50 have a huge payoff.

not a bad idea, however agramon mobs are very nasty and hard hitting. at 40, they are either deep green to you, or deep orange/red.

honestly you are better off in the barrows killing wights. almost no health. easy to land styles/spells on especially spirit damage. decent cash drops.
Dixa

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:43 am

Rob wrote:Of the things I wrote, what does the "no" apply to? Could you quote those words by themselves so I'll know what you disagree with?
Dixa wrote:it's not "extremely fast".

What I actually wrote is that "compared to the old days, leveling is extremely fast."

I made a comparison, not an absolute statement.

Your "it" seems to be the Hesperos quests but my sentence is about leveling.

Dixa wrote:...once you hit 40 it is very grindy and slow for quite a few classes until you can start the cv quests, at which point you will do 45-50 in maybe three hours.

Leveling from 40 to 50 used to take months. For example, my first toon took six months to get to 50 and I played a lot. 42 was the halfway point in terms of time.

Dixa wrote:that treasure box quest is less than half a bubble per turn in at 40...

That's much faster than anything a solo toon could do at level 40 during the early days of the game.

Dixa wrote:...and if you don't have speed, not so quick to do that you don't get mind-numbingly bored with the game at this point and want to just to kill things.

Neither I nor the Leveling Guide (which I didn't write) said anything about what is grindy or boring and what is not. That's a matter of taste and will vary from one person to another.

Personally, if I wanted to level a toon on its own today, I would wander around and kill stuff all the way from level 1 to 50. I hate quests. I wouldn't do anything in the Leveling Guide. But that's my personal taste.

Dixa wrote:...want to just to kill things.

One of the reasons that leveling is extremely fast today compared to the old days is that kills move the XP bar much further now. Mythic kept ratcheting this up over the years.

Another reason is that XP death loss has been greatly reduced. Toons used to lose several hours worth of XP when they died.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Apath wrote:
Rob wrote:

Hey Rob, what I see that sounds wrong is you don't get glass except on the first run of those quests now, and I have noticed there is a significant reduction in xp on repeats. They are only good chained together the first run really. I may just be reading the guide quote wrong.

Thanks very much Apath. I appreciate the feedback. I just added a note to the leveling guide saying that the game changed since that advice was written.

Edit: I copied your comment into the Leveling Guide. Hope you don't mind.

It's too bad we don't have volunteers to update the Leveling Guide and other pages on this site, or write new ones.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Rob wrote:Personally, if I wanted to level a toon on its own today, I would wander around and kill stuff all the way from level 1 to 50. I hate quests. But that's my personal taste.

There are very, very few good quests in DAOC, to compound this problem. I disliked questing until WoW, and I realized that it was possible for quests to be entertaining.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Warriorperson wrote:
Rob wrote:Personally, if I wanted to level a toon on its own today, I would wander around and kill stuff all the way from level 1 to 50. I hate quests. But that's my personal taste.

There are very, very few good quests in DAOC, to compound this problem. I disliked questing until WoW, and I realized that it was possible for quests to be entertaining.

Yeah I agree. In fact I almost wrote "I hate quests in DAOC" instead of the shorter sentence that you quoted.

I used to love adventure games, and what's an adventure game except a long series of quests?
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Dixa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:59 am

45-50 took months for some classes, but as the hesperos quests showcase not all classes are created equal, with or without buffbot, even today.

when SI launched I was the first 50 necromancer on Igraine. Zenobian. 4 days played. 45-50 I did in a weekend - in the barrows. with a buffbot of course.

in classic daoc I took my wizard to 50 in about 8 days of played time, over the course of 6 week. I had a 60 hour a week job the first three years of daoc so I was not exactly playing night and day.

my cabalist however was an exercise in frustration during classic hitting level 40 in 15 days of played time. with a buffbot. this when I bought a third account and powerlevelled anything else I wanted to play with my necro as I was not interested in reliving the EQ velious xp grind.

even today doing it legit with realm buffs it is well over an hour a level, so about 2 days played or more and again it will depend greatly on your class choice.

we also didn't have the insane gear back then that we do now. best in the game post Si was crafted thanks to spellcrafting and alchemy, best in game pre SI were DF diamond gear and very few without buffbots were able to gain diamonds at a reasonable rate.

leveling is faster now for sure, but there are still gaps and room to improve in the 40-45 game.
Dixa

Postby Apath » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:50 am

Rob wrote:Thanks very much Apath. I appreciate the feedback. I just added a note to the leveling guide saying that the game changed since that advice was written.

Edit: I copied your comment into the Leveling Guide. Hope you don't mind.

It's too bad we don't have volunteers to update the Leveling Guide and other pages on this site, or write new ones.

I don't mind at all, when I get a bit more free time I will start some new characters and try to do some research on solo leveling these days. I know they just added a lot of content in the 20's and I think they mentioned some late 30's / early 40's stuff coming with the next patch.

Thank you for keeping this site going! :D

Apath

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Apath wrote:I don't mind at all, when I get a bit more free time I will start some new characters and try to do some research on solo leveling these days.

That would be great.

Apath wrote:Thank you for keeping this site going! :D

:)
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Dixa wrote:leveling is faster now for sure...

When I made this point in my original post, you replied "no." Now instead of "no" you're saying "for sure."
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Dixa » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:48 am

Rob wrote:

When I made this point in my original post, you replied "no." Now instead of "no" you're saying "for sure."

actually this is what I said

Dixa wrote:
yes....and no.

because you were half-right. 1-40 fast, 45-50 fast. 40-45 feels as bad as classic if you waste your time running around without run speed trying to follow outdated guides instead of camping somewhere and killing low health mobs from classic zones.
Dixa

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Dixa wrote:
Rob wrote:

actually this is what I said

You're leaving out that I asked you what that "no" meant, and that you answered as follows:

Rob wrote:Of the things I wrote, what does the "no" apply to? Could you quote those words by themselves so I'll know what you disagree with?
Dixa wrote:it's not "extremely fast".

But, like I told you when you wrote that, I didn't say that "it" -- apparently referring to the Hesperos quests -- "is extremely fast".

What I actually wrote is that "compared to the old days, leveling is extremely fast."

As I told you at the time:

Rob wrote:I made a comparison, not an absolute statement.

Your "it" seems to be the Hesperos quests but my sentence is about leveling.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I didn't say what you think I said.

Dixa wrote:because you were half-right. 1-40 fast, 45-50 fast. 40-45 feels as bad as classic if you waste your time running around without run speed trying to follow outdated guides instead of camping somewhere and killing low health mobs from classic zones.

After all these words, you're still replying to an imaginary Rob who said something about the speed of the Hesperos repeatables. In reality I hadn't said anything about the speed of the Hesperos repeatables at that point in the conversation. (Later, after you raised that topic, I did say something about it.)

I'm not enjoying this conversation, so unless you surprise me, this will be the last time I reply to you.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Varkataz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:58 am

I did realm quests till 40 in almost a day...AC 40-45 in a day then cv
Kakataz - Paladin

-more to come!-
Varkataz

Postby Varkataz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:59 am

Solo no bot just realm buffs
Kakataz - Paladin

-more to come!-
Varkataz

Postby Dixa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:11 am

Varkataz wrote:I did realm quests till 40 in almost a day...AC 40-45 in a day then cv

a day is how many hours? just curious.

my bd did 40-45 in 2 hours, cause buffed bd pets are kinda disgusting.
Dixa

Postby Apath » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:36 am

Ok I leveled a warlock from the ground up, no goodies from my stash, etc etc. I did get help from 39 to 45 (the quests had run out around then anyhoo).

I was not racing and took a few afk's, the played time was 20 hours.

I started with the tutorial in glenlock sound. I did all of the available quests there before heading to mularn (inlcuding the other town). This gave me level 11 and a basic horse and a decent set of gear for the level.

Then it was off to mularn, I completed the quests there and and used the nisse expedition teleporter to get the nisse's liar quests. I was able to complete them by level 18 (with some kiting and such). The mythirian you receive from that quest is unable to be equiped, a bug that says this item does not go in that slot.

There is a teleporter at the Nisse Expedition camp that will teleport you to several places and gives a level range. So it was off to Ft. Veldon next. At this point I found there is always at least one quest you cannot complete on gaheris because it wants you to head to the bg of that level range. Other than that it was straight forward and fairly easy.

I kept using the new N.E.T. (Nisse Expedition Teleporter) to make things quicker, especially on run/errand quests. There is also an epic encounter quest starting in mularn. I went back to these mobs 5 to 10 levels later and when they were blue I was able to take them, some required a try or two. You get a nice mythirian that can be equipped for these quests.

(Except the last one at fort alta, it was yellow to me and Ela from Grace was kind enough to come help me by demolishing the leviathin look-a-like, I did get it to 30% life a few times but they heal to full after you get them under 50%, like an ignore pain ability, and if they move too far from their original spot they become immune to all attacks and walk back then instantly hit 100% life.... annoying).

After Ft. Veldon it goes to audilton, to Huginfel, to Ft. Alta, and a couple of dragonslayer quests from huginfel out in myrkwood and west skona.

I opted for the platinum coin on the horse quest in huginfel and when I reached level 38 I went and did the hesperos quests, I had 2.5 plat or so and the set of gear carried me to 50 nicely.

After that some of the wonderful people of gaheris powerleveled and grouped with me to 45 and then it was cathal valley midgard repeating the bone eater quests.

I did buy a 45 mount and solo'ed orion's belt encounter before heading to cathal valley.

Hope that helps with the guide ;)

Apath

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks Apath. :)
Rob
Site Admin

Return to Gaheris