Returning player(s) (yep, another one!)

Conversations about the Gaheris server.

Returning player(s) (yep, another one!)

Postby Relidar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Hey guys!

Some of you may remember me as Kajakeen and/or Carang. I used to be in Demonic Angels.

Me and my brother decided to return to Gaheris for some fun and we were wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help us out a bit. Most importantly, we need to figure out what setup is the most efficient with 3 accounts to farm seals with. We're open to all suggestions, but so far we've been leveling a friar and animist with a 50 cleric bot. I'm pretty sure this isn't the most effective trio however.

Any kind of feedback is welcome!

Also, +1 to Saxona for the motivation to resub <3
Relidar

Re: Returning player(s) (yep, another one!)

Postby Warriorperson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:22 pm

For 3 accounts, Armsman, Enchanter and Druid will beat out anything else you can dream up.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Relidar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Warriorperson wrote:For 3 accounts, Armsman, Enchanter and Druid will beat out anything else you can dream up.

Sorry for being a bother, but do you mind explaining why those 3 in particular and not something else in their stead? (Warrior, Enchanter, Clierc, for example)

Reason why i ask is because we already have a buffbot account with cleric/druid/shaman and we have my old main account with Enchanter, SM, Necromancer already leveled and geared as well. (We will definitely reroll if the other option is more viable however!)
Relidar

Postby Warriorperson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Relidar wrote:Sorry for being a bother, but do you mind explaining why those 3 in particular and not something else in their stead? (Warrior, Enchanter, Clierc, for example)

Reason why i ask is because we already have a buffbot account with cleric/druid/shaman and we have my old main account with Enchanter, SM, Necromancer already leveled and geared as well. (We will definitely reroll if the other option is more viable however!)

Acct #1: Armsman - You need a tank. Protect 3 is incredibly more valuable for aggro control than protect 2, so that tosses Valks out the window, imo (ignoring the massive other issues they face in PvE like lack of HP and such). That limits your options to Armsman, Hero, Warrior and Paladin. Paladins get plate armor, and chants, which make them awesome, but they don't get dashing defense, which is The Best Ability in PvE if used intelligently. Seriously, it is that freaking overpowered. That rules out Pallys in favor of the 3 main tanks. Armsman get plate armor, and the Armsman RR5 is wonderful in combination with the above-mentioned dashing defense, plus they get Saracens as a racial option (which is arguably the best tank race in the game for Gaheris, and Inconnu is another viable option if you don't go Saracen). Warriors and Heros are both excellent options, but I feel the RR5 and plate armor offered by an Arms outweighs the 1h+2h sharing a weapon line offered by the warrior, and beats out moose-mode from the Hero.

Acct #2: Druid - You need some form of spec buffs. This means you need a Cleric, Druid or Shaman. Shamans don't get any of the extra healing spells presented by a Druid or Cleric, and endo isn't enough to make up for this, so they're out of the picture. This limits your options to Druid or Cleric. The only significant difference between the two classes is one gets spec AF and the other gets haste, and if you're only running 3 accts, I think haste wins out over spec AF. With 4 accts, I'd take the Cleric over the Druid, but with 3, I'll take the haste.

Acct #3: Enchanter - PBAE + guard (via the above-mentioned Armsman) is the heart of Gaheris farming. Only 2 pbae classes get access to pets, so your options are basically limited to Enchanter or Spiritmaster. Either one is a fine choice, I just personally prefer Enchanters. Flexibility of being able to focus pull when needed, casted stun and heat debuff, and Elf as a racial choice beat out the spirit-based pbae + DD in the same spec line and aoe str/con debuff offered by the SM, in my opinion (and I have both Enchanters and SMs). SM pets intercept attacks, but your arms shouldn't be missing blocks if you have him well geared, so the utility of this is vastly overstated. Also, the stupid pet checks for intercepts before guard, so while it'll look like he's blocking a ton of attacks (and he is, technically), 99%+ of those attacks would get eaten by the guard, thus making the pet's blocking an annoyance rather than a benefit, because you now need to heal the stupid pet.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Relidar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the detailed response! I'm sure you get this question a few times a week.

That makes things a lot clearer, time to decide who's healing and who's casting the pbaoe, seeing as the armsman is a blockbot!
Relidar

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am

Relidar wrote:Thanks a lot for the detailed response! I'm sure you get this question a few times a week.

I put a link to this thread in the Gaheris FAQ.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Avals » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 am

To be honest if you run that trio one of you will be bored. It's fun being the enchanter but it's not fun being the tank in that scenario. You stand back so as not to cause block problems and out of sight issues, you're often too far back to melee and it's with 1 hand styles anyway or you play a healer where you're almost not needed or needed alittle in most of the content availible to your trio.

I'm developing a reputation of thinking outside the square with my class/spec make ups.

I'm officially loving the aughealer played as melee.

Almost all classes can do well on this server if you play them/build them with pve only in mind.

All casters templated and specced do amazing damage,

Anything that can spec shield (and carrys atleast medium shield) will defend well and there are a few of the keeps that can be done with a well played high rr friar so packing an odd combination shouldn't reduce your choice to the near perfect holy trinity.

The speed of leveing these days is so incredibly fast you can mix it up a bit until you find a trio you both enjoy playing. Double Heretic/pac healer bot would work well. Less well on keeps due to the need to carry rams but on raid content Heretics are one of the few classes that hold their own above all others.

I'll list the classes I enjoy playing the most in no particular order.

1) Ranger 2) Aug/melee Healer 3) LW/parry hero 4) Thane (almost no shield).

I've got the block/bomber/buffer combo (I've included a bard for speed/power/endo) and it's good for getting the job done but I feel like it's the least enjoyable set up.
Avals

Postby countzero » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

Hello,

I'm a returning player to DAoC and once many moons ago had played on Gaheris when ToA was first released. I got the itch to play again but had some questions specifically to Gaheris. I didn't have many characters a mid 30 hero / weapon-smith, and a few others so I'll basically be starting from scratch. I cannot dual box so it'll be just solo, but I've been playing on ywain for a bit to remember how to play.

My question is seeing how 1 - 50 is pretty easy to attain now, would it be wise to level a character up to 1 farm money & dreads first. Then level up group wanted character second? Also being solo what would folks recommend to do for those two. Reading the forums it looks like Heretics seem wanted, along with heavy tanks & healers. In original DAoC I solo leveled a friar & shaman to 50. I'm not crazy about casters, but the heretic seems interesting. Not looking for any hand-outs, just information & suggestions. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!
countzero

Postby Warriorperson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:15 am

countzero wrote:My question is seeing how 1 - 50 is pretty easy to attain now, would it be wise to level a character up to 1 farm money & dreads first. Then level up group wanted character second? Also being solo what would folks recommend to do for those two. Reading the forums it looks like Heretics seem wanted, along with heavy tanks & healers. In original DAoC I solo leveled a friar & shaman to 50. I'm not crazy about casters, but the heretic seems interesting. Not looking for any hand-outs, just information & suggestions. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

The best purely solo characters are probably friar, necromancer (if you can deal with the pathing issues) and wardens. Heretics are pretty good, and valuable on raids. Wardens are a cornerstone for almost any group on Gaheris, although they're rather dull. I'd probably start off with a friar, then level up a warden or heretic based on personal preference for groups.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby countzero » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Thank you, I enjoyed the friar last time, so easy to give that another go. May look into the heretic as well, and roll up a tailor to outfit them both.
countzero

Postby Warriorperson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:35 pm

countzero wrote:Thank you, I enjoyed the friar last time, so easy to give that another go. May look into the heretic as well, and roll up a tailor to outfit them both.

Tradeskills for leveling gear aren't really worth the effort. Better off just grinding it out to 50 and worrying about tradeskills afterwards. If you find yourself needing/wanting gear, do Catacombs content and use Aurulite gear. Mythic has made tradeskills irrelevant for just about everything except templates, sadly.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Return to Gaheris